Howard Hughes Medical Institute Holiday Lectures
We are planning on doing the HHMI Holiday Lectures/field trip in a different way this year. Rather than take whole classes we will take those students who have, and show an active interest in (a) research (b) the subject.
Students will be chosen for either Thursday, Friday or both days of the lectures. We will make sure that the administration insists that ALL faculty not only allow, but encourage their students to attend both days if offered.
Points will be given for each item and those with the highest point totals will be chosen for both days. Lower totals will go one day or the other.
Consideration will be based on the following:
1) Science teacher recommendation (required)
2) A or B in science for the 1st marking period (weighted)
3) Overall GPA
4) Attendance and participation in "seminars" on DNA technology (we are offering 2 dates for each so that those who can not participate on a Tuesday would have Wednesday as an option). On each date there is some computer material to go through and "process" followed by a discussion.
11/5, 6 DNA from the Beginning Computer Lab
11/12, 13 HHMI-PCR Computer Lab
11/19, 20 CSH-DNA Technology Simulations Computer Lab
11/25, 26 HHMI-Webpage bios/DNA chips & Discussion
5) Attending both dates to assist in leading the second discussion
6) Mini-research paper on something related to the topics that we havenít discussed (topic to be pre-approved by either Dr. Rothstein or Dr. Gottfried).
7) Participation in UM/HHMI Wednesday afternoon/evening Family Science Event (details to follow).
8) Priority points will be given to those
a) doing research
b) seniors who have participated in the past
c) juniors who have participated in the past
d) rare freshmen who show strong motivation and interest
Links to the lecture site can be found atwww.hhmi.org